Using Coke for Cooking
I was surprised that we can actually use coke for cooking dishes. As I scanned thru' KC's forum on "Asian Poultry" section, I decided, why not try this? Tho it may seem weird or sound funny, but who knows if you dont try. A member contributed this recipe in KC.
1 can of coke light with lemon (best to use this, others are too sweet)
2 slices of ginger (cut into very thin strips)
2 tbsp light soya sauce (i use kwang cheong thye brand, diff brand will make this dish taste different)
1 tbsp of dark soya sauce
Some spring onion cut into thin strips half red chilli(w/o seeds) cut into thin strips
1. Poke the chicken with a fork.
2. Marinate chicken in coke for 1/2hr.
3. Stir fry ginger in 2 tbsp oil till fragrant.
4. Add in chicken to stirfry till half cooked.
5. Boil remaining coke in a small pot at add into the chicken slowly.
6. Add into light soya sauce & dark soya sauce.
7. Boil chicken till very little of sauce left.
8. Add some corn starch(w/water) to get the "gow".
9. Add spring onion & red chilli stir for awhile before serving.
After getting good feedback from hubby, and I myself find that using coke to cook the above chicken recipe is delicious, I decided to create my own coke chicken dish. I must say that the results are good! For those of you, who dont like coke, I recommend u to just try this once, cuz when u taste it, u wouldnt even know that this dish is used by coke!!
Here's my very own Black Pepper Chicken with Toasted Sesame Seeds
500gm chicken thigh meat
1/2 can of diet coke
1piece sliced ginger
1 stalk spring onion (sliced thinly)
1tsp sesame seeds (either u toast it or dry fry it in a wok to get the brown colour)
1/2 a lime for juice
Seasonings for chicken:
1tsp sesame oil
1tsp extra virgin olive oil
2tbsp light soy sauce
1tsp chicken marinade (Lee Kum Kee brand)
1tbsp black pepper
1. Marinade chicken in the above seasonings for 2hours.
2. Heat 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil in wok & stir fry ginger till fragrant.
3. Add chicken in to stir fry for 1 min.
4. Add coke in & make sure chicken is well coated with coke. Let it simmer until water is all soaked up.
5. Add in spring onion & stir fry for 1 min.
6. Dish out, add toasted sesame seeds, lime juice. Toss it before serving.