Sago Pudding with Gula Melaka
I FINALLY found Gula Melaka here.
"Gula Melaka is the name of the brown palm sugar tapped from the coconut tree. It has a fragrance so intensely delicious that it needs only the addition of thick coconut cream to create a sauce of unsurpassed richness.This is poured over a simple pudding made from sago pearls." (Taken this from the web)
300gm Gula Melaka (to your own taste)
250ml Water Coconut milk (to your own taste)
1. Boil 450ml of water in a pot. Add sago when water is boiling.
2. Stir continuously to avoid sago sticking to one another. Boil until all sagos are translucent.
3. Remove from heat & sieve sagos in a sieve. Put sagos in a large container filled with room temperature water to avoid them sticking together.
4. Boil 250ml of water in a pot again, and put in gula melaka.
5. Bring this mixture to boil and make sure gula melaka is dissolved.
6. Drain away sago water (the water from method 3) & put sagos in a rice bowl or mould. Refrigerate.
7. Serve this dessert chilled with cold gula melaka syrup & coconut milk. Enjoy!
** I love this dessert sweet, if you would not like it too sweet, u can reduce the gula melaka. ** Coconut milk-- up to you to add according to your taste. ** If you are using big sagos, soak them in water first before boiling them in water. This will shorten the time of cooking, else big sagos take a longer time to cook.